Monday 18 January 2016

Mirrorless Cars

Driverless cars aren't the only car technology coming around, this CES BMW came out with a mirrorless car, BMW modded their i8 model to replace their side view mirrors with cameras instead and they added a camera on the back trunk and to view the cameras you just take a gander at the rear view mirror to view all three cameras, right now it's just a prototype and unlikely to come out soon since BMW also needs to consult law regulators since it's illegal to to have mirrorless cars. Long gone are the days where you would need to turn around to back out of a parking space you can now do it all from the comfort of your own seat.

I think that this a really cool idea and really does push the boundaries of car technology, unlike the driverless cars that I'm kinda iffy about, I fully support mirrorless cars and their full implementation into the general public. While this prototype still needs some tweaking, in LinusTechTips's video you can clearly see some lag spikes once in a while and you might think that once in a while isn't bad but when you're at the wheel a lag spike could mean the difference between life and death.

This is new technology and new technology needs to be developed well enough where the chances of failure are super duper slim and when there are barely any bugs, we haven't reached that point yet and when it becomes available for the average consumer I'll be the first to jump on the bandwagon and adopt that new technology and I think I wont be the only one either since it's really exiting tech that I think everyone will enjoy.

                                                                                                                                  -Phil

If you want more info check out this video from LinusTechTips where he goes more in depth with this tech as he reports from this years CES 2016


5 comments:

  1. I really do have to agree with Phil, these new mirrorless cars are quite the new piece of technology and although they may make driving much easier, I'm not so much a fan of the lag issues that they're having. I dont think that this should be available anytime soon or until they fix this problem but once they do this will change the world of driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for agreeing with me, now my life has a sense of worth. But other than that this piece of tech is pioneering us into the horizon of car technology. But rest assured I'm sure BMW is working hard to fix this issue and once it comes out it'll run as smooth as butter.

      Delete
  2. This is really cool Phil! I think its funny how they have to consult the laws for this car though lol! But its very cool how far and how much our generation has affected our society and the way we live today. Blogs like this really get me thinking, will we have flying cars soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not funny to consult the laws when you're getting sued. Ya our generation is definitely impacting the world in different ways (some negative some good)and I'm exited to see how the world will turn up in 10-20 years. To answer your question question about flying cars is that we might have them in the future I know there are companies working hard to make those but you'll have to wait a bit before it becomes commercialized.

      Delete
  3. Mirrorless car seems pretty cool, technology is advancing pretty quite now a day and I have heard about self driving car but never mirrorless cars. I agree that there are bugs and that we need perfection with no bugs so we could be safe while driving. Otherwise it seems better than having to look at your mirrors every 10 seconds and it would be quicker. Cars are advancing so quick. Great blog Phil!

    ReplyDelete